14 November 2008

Surveys are ill-equipped for real life

I was the lucky winner of a telephone survey the other night. This survey had to do with my experience at an auto dealership in Madison stemming from our car troubles a couple of weekends ago. The service at the dealership was fairly stellar and I'd have no qualms recommending people there. That being said one of the survey questions was "on a scale from 0 to 10 how likely are you to go back to this dealership for your next service need", I told the questioner 0 but it's because I'm 250 miles away and we went there out of need. I told the questioner that if I were closer I'd have no problems. "0 to 10" was the questioner's response, in essense telling me that there were no caveats allowed. Maybe my caveat is covered under the "margin of error" that these surveys have, or maybe the survey was just ill-designed.

1 comment:

zipbagofbones said...

I got a survey in the mail from my bank this week. Normally I don't fill them out, but they enclosed a $1 bill so I felt obligated. Their questions were odd, like how likely was I to use their ATM again? Um...very? Because otherwise I pay a fee? How likely was I to recommend their ATMs to other people? Um...never? Who does that? Overall, how would I rate my experience with their ATM? Um...fine? It did what it was supposed to, but didn't compliment my shirt, so I'm not going to say is fantastic or anything...