23 November 2008

Is Blogging Narcissistic?

I read an article the other day that made the case that blogging was very narcissistic. Is it? Is it a shallow way to get/keep others interested in my life? Is it a way to document my experiences so that others may learn from them? Is it a method for me to keep a tally of occurrences and thoughts so that I don't have to write them in a journal (yeah, like that would happen)?

It's interesting to me to go back and read my thoughts and happenings over the past year and a half. I suppose it doesn't matter too much, it gives me a window to get my thoughts down and if others are interested in reading it more power to them.

2 comments:

Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) said...

I think that blogs are terrifically narcissistic, and it's only with that as a given that I'm willing to write one.

I can't tell if I talk more about myself on my blog than I do in person, but I like the aspect of a blog that lets me complete (even long and complex) thoughts and make my point.

Too many times in conversation I'll get sidetracked or the subject will change before I make my point, and my listener may never know I'm not as random as I sound-- I just never got to the place where I explained the connection.

zipbagofbones said...

It totally is, but no more so than writing a book or giving a speech or throwing a party...it's a creative outlet for some, a platform for others, a hobby for others still. I agree with your sentiment that it's a window to get your thoughts down, and people can read it if they are interested.