02 October 2007

Adventures of Mudbelly

Last night was an adventure fit for someone with young kids, maybe it's God's way of preparing us? I got home and fired up the grill so we could kiss some pork chops with some good old fashioned natural gas flames. While waiting for the grill to heat up I started chopping off the seed shoots that had taken over the basil garden. I suppose not watering these plants fervently enacts some sort of survive and propogate mode in these suckers and the plants were overrun.

We don't have a big deck but we do have a big cat (22 pounds or so) that just loves to sit outside on the deck. When I go out she begs to go out and I usually let her, last night was no exception. This cat has a sneaky way of moving six inches at a stint and then resting, the idea in her mind (I suppose) is to take a little bit and rest and act like nothing is happening and then once our guard is down she takes a little bit more. Before long she was sitting on the step of the deck and then down one step and then under the deck. Our deck doesn't have much clearance, maybe twelve inches, and she just plopped down in the middle. She just didn't want to move and our tiny broom at times couldn't reach and at other times had no affect moving a cat of her mass. To make matters more interesting the ground underneath the deck is dirt and it had rained earlier in the day.

After twenty minutes of trying to broom her out and trying to bribe her out with food we upped the ante and found the hose! That did the trick!

At this same time Amanda was cooking up a glaze for our porkchops complete with a green onion from our container garden, unfortunately the glaze turned into sludge while we were both chasing Mudbelly.

No comments: