29 May 2009

Where did those muscles come from?

This week has been a good week in terms of working out, have varied my routine a bit and am sore because of it. No pain no gain? I'm not sore because of anything being broken (except for a patch of skin on my elbow that was rubbed raw as I landed making a sweet catch in ultimate frisbee) but I am sore from using muscles that have been hiding for a long time.

Working backwards from yesterday:

Went climbing at Vertical Endeavors, my second time climbing ever (unless you include the one stint ice climbing, which makes this my third go and unless you include a couple of bouldering attempts at my buddy Isaac's which makes this my fourth/fifth go). I climbed a 5.7 route, which is pretty much akin to walking up the stairs for actual climbers but for me was a good starting point. That was my first run and despite my efforts I only made it about half way up on other runs. I suppose a year of incessant running and biking hasn't done anything to strengthen my forearms. Interestingly my forearms are good to go today but my triceps ache, I didn't know I was using them that much!

On Wednesday I was finally able to make it out to play some Ultimate frisbee. The weather was perfect (about 60, overcast and a slight breeze). We had a good turnout, which is always nice, and it was a decently clean game. The game got more interesting when, about 15 minutes into it, the sprinklers went on all over the field. We played through the sprinklers and in some cases they seemed to act as additional defenders. We played for about an hour, which wasn't near enough, but according to my pedometer this hour provided 8,094 steps (which accounts to about 4 miles if the google search results indicating 2,000 steps to a mile is correct).

On Tuesday I stepped up my interval training. I did the "Extreme HR" routine on the treadmill which cycles you through levels of difficulty such that you peak at about 85% of your max HR (which is a function of age) for a length of time and valley at 55% of your max HR. I'm still tweaking this routine as it takes such a long time for me to reach the initial HR target (has me climbing at a 9.5% interval at 3.8 mph for 6 minutes or so before it switches me to the next zone). Once I'm at the point where my HR is good to go for the computer then the going gets fun. I put on some Pillar or POD or Thousand Foot Krutch and get rockin'.

On Monday I did my normal video game while walking 3 miles but then worked my abs on the "Ab Ripper X" routine, I just don't have the right muscles to do some of the moves, one day?

On Sunday I took off biking while Amanda took a nap, zigged and zagged on about 10 miles of pathway, not too far but enough to get a little pink!

That's it for now, still addicted to the natural endorphins, and to Amanda's home-made brownies.

Amanda's at almost 25 weeks (monday) which equates to 62.5%!

No comments: