19 July 2007

That's one big fish, or is something fishy around here?


We're going over to some friends for dinner on Saturday night and bringing some halibut from our last Alaska fishing adventure. Because I had a few extra minutes at lunch today I looked up "how to grill halibut" on google, specifically trying to find insider secrets to not overcook them. I came across this website but stopped reading after I lost confidence in their report (if they can't get the little facts right why should I trust them in the big stuff!). Specifically note that halibut can "get as big as 1000 pounds"!

Alas, per this other website (and a bunch of others) the world record halibut was caught in Dutch Harbor (oh yeah, representin!) and weighed in at 459 pounds, which though a staggering weight is far less than the 1000 pound fish of lore!

Still yummy tasting though. Feel free to post some recipes as comments!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just grilled halibut last night. I do it the same way I do salmon but it requires a bit more care.

Tricks:

* use a thin piece if you have one. The 2 inch thick filets are hard to cook. The hardest are the chunks that are thick in one part and thin in another.

* sear it on the grill, then turn to low. Finish in the microwave if it's not done in the middle. You want it almost raw in the middle so it doesn't get too dry.

* use oil or butter in a sauce that you brush on while cooking or serve with

* leave the skin on and finish grilling with the skin down. when you take it off the grill you can just lift it off the skin with a spatula, and then toss the burnt skin.


Grilled halibut makes a wicked sandwich with some fresh garden pesto!