23 July 2007

Excuse me sir, what part of Europe?

Ever since college I've been perplexed. I've had a number (around 20) of instances where people who are just getting acquainted with me ask me what part of Europe I'm from. This has happened pretty much every place I've lived since beginning college. The questions and/or statements to this effect include "You have an accent but I don't know where it's from, what part of Europe?", "Are you British", "I didn't know you were from Europe", and many similar permutations.

Why bring this up?? When Amanda and I went to volunteer our time this past saturday, with an agency that supports missionaries in Asia, one of the directors asked me a version of this question.

As it's happened recurringly I suspect it's not just the undiscerning ear of a single observer, so I've been curious what about my speech initiates such a response. I don't really have an answer but I suspect it has something to do with my choice of words and the structure of my sentences. I've also been told that I enunciate more precisely than a lot of "Americans". Does therein lie the secret?

I guess all in all most people in the "lower 48" have been satisfied with my answer "My accent is Alaskan". At least they're satisfied until they ponder whether Alaskans have an accent. Unfortunately this doesn't work for those Alaskan's who have asked me.

I suppose I'll have to chalk it up to having my own personal accent!

6 comments:

Burly said...

It's an annunciation issue. But it's not an "issue," persay. It's just fine.

Kevin C said...

Tom, I have something similar. Whenever I talk to customer service reps over the phone, without fail they mistake me for a woman. Conversations usually go like this -
Me: Can you help me figure out this problem with my bill?
Rep: Of course, ma'am, but I'll have to speak to your husband, who is the primary holder of the account.
Me: (annoyed) You're talking to Kevin.
Rep: Oh.
(awkward silence)

Burly said...

If it makes you feel better, Kevin, you sound like a manly woman. Just kidding. You just sound like a woman. Just kidding.

Tom said...

To combat that (or at least your annoyance and frustration with it) choose at least one of the following:

1. Immediately fire up the grill and cook some steak
2. Play some tackle football
3. Go fishing
4. Grunt

Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) said...

I've gotten the "accent" question to-- But but it's not consistently assumed to be any one place.

I think NY was guessed once-- when I got talking really fast.

I think you're right about the annunciation thing-- but that's got to be personality-- not place of origin, right?

Tom said...

I think that annunciation is probably a combination of location and personality. I'm generally a cautious & intentional person, this seems to be reflected in my speech patterns.

I imagine however that if I were raised in the south, and all else being equal (which only exists in an idealized setting), my annunciation would be influenced by a general drawl and people wouldn't guess "europe".