Madelyn, Amanda and I went to Thanksgiving dinner with some friends of ours at their parents house. We ate and played and played and ate again until we got our quota of 3000-7000 calories (estimates vary). Madelyn did fairly well most of the day, had a few fussy times but also chatted with people a little bit. Towards the end of the day she started getting over stimulated and over tired. She slept all the way home, woke up for a minute when I accidentally hit the alarm button on the car remote (while the car was parked in the garage causing the sound to echo), transferred to her crib with no problem and is still sleeping now, 10 hours later (though she did scoot down to the opposite end of her crib).
I came to the realization the other day that in a decade I'll have a pre-teen girl, yikes! I came to the realization on the same other day that when the pre-teen emerges I'll have to start reading pre-teen girl books for research, to ensure that I have a slightly better clue where she's coming from. Whatever the new craze is then, like Twilight is now, I'll need to be up on. Yikes!
While watching ESPN I saw an example of the type of legacy I want to leave behind. The story involved John Wooden, the basketball coaching legend for UCLA. He was married to his first love Nell for 53 years (she died in 1985). In 2003 when UCLA wanted to honor him by naming the basketball court after him he declined unless they would also put Nell's name on the court. When UCLA accepted John declined again unless Nell's name came first on the court. So, now the court is named the "Nell & John Wooden" court.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment