Amanda and I spent the weekend (at least Friday night) being REI nerds. We actually camped out at REI in order to be in the front of the line for their quarterly members only scrath & dent sale. Pitched a tent on the sidewalk, stayed overnight in the 20 degree weather while 3 inches of snow fell. Full-on REI nerds.
It was fun. We were doing it as an event with some friends of ours. Our friends broke out a turkey fryer to cook up a good old-fashioned brat boil. They also hooked up a TV to the car battery and we had maybe 20 people watching mountain climbing movies outside at midnight. It was a good time to hang out and get to know people. Maybe next year will be XBOX 360 or Wii Bowling? Or even better, maybe I can get together some midnight ultimate in the parking lot!
As for the sale, we scored: a bike trainer (resistance stand that turns your regular bicycle into a stationary bike), two camel-backs, two chalk bags (for climbing), a small shovel, and a hand-crank flashlight. No major coups but I've been wanting a bike trainer, the shovel is a great size for keeping in the car, hand-crank flashlight will be useful for camping (unfortunately it does get dark here in the summer), chalk bags will be useful for climbing pending that we continue to begin that sport, and camel-backs will be good for those long-distance bike rides I hope to undertake this summer.

No comments:
Post a Comment