11 September 2007

Half Gould and Burning Fruit

We celebrate birthdays where I work once a month. Each person who has a birthday in that particular month gets to have their say on what food will be brought in for the celebration party. My birthday month is September and accordingly I got to [partially] impose my gustatory delights on the group.

I've been trying to cut out excess fats and processed foods for a little over a year now (and been largely successful) and now am known in the office as one who doesn't partake in too many of the dessert-like options that are known to float around. Past parties have found me snacking on carrots rather than carrot-cake and strawberries rather than strawberry ice cream.

In setting up this party I requested a platter of fruit, much to the consternation of some. Fortunately for those who don't delight in the lighter offerings the other September birthday buddies like all the stereotypical birthday party fares, I'm talking lots of whipped cream covering lots of cake that's been filled with lots of chocolate. One person in particular, last name of Gould, likes this fare, so he was served a slice of cake (perhaps packing 600 calories) that was quite large (don't worry, he went for a second piece shortly thereafter). The second birthday-er (i.e. made up word to signify a second person whose birthday was being represented) requested his size be a "half-Gould" (thus unofficially creating a new sizing scheme).

As I didn't want cake I was served a slice of strawberry set atop a slice of pineapple with a candle sticking out of the structure.

It was tasty, it was healthy, it was funny. What more could I want?!

No comments: