If you've been reading, or if you've been listening to my tales you'll know that I've been one of those "ice bikers" this winter. I ride to work day in and day out (though it's only a 5 mile round trip, so I'm not too hard core), except for when Amanda declares it's too dangerous. Thankfully I'm only on the road for a total of 1 mile (trails make up the other 4), so if I do slip and fall I don't have to worry about being run over by a car. I enjoy that I don't have to play a version of frogger while getting to work.
Riding through snow really isn't that difficult, even without studded tires. Riding on ice is a different story. We had a few days of 45 degrees which melted everything and then it quickly turned to 0 degrees which flash-froze all of the water. Now there's a couple of spots on the ride that a tricky at best. After not having fallen all winter long I've taken the tumble three times in the last week, twice yesterday. My pretty little chin and my pretty little knee took the brunt of the force. Thankfully I wasn't going too fast and I was prepared for the fall but it doesn't make Amanda's worry of my biking any less pronounced. That being said she let me ride in again this morning! She's good to and for me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
You're so brave - I'm waiting for everything resembling frozen precipitation to melt before I resume biking to work.
I'd say frugal instead of brave.
sooo....i totally rode my bie to work yesterday morning, as the temps were due to hit a whopping 60and also b/c i'd waited as long as i could stand.
i hit the one patch of ice in shakopee and broke my wrist. no joke. most expensive bike ride ever :(
Post a Comment