20 July 2008

Fancy Car Syndrome

Have you ever noticed that the aggressive drivers, the ones that cut you off or drive on the shoulder, tend to have fancy cars? We call this FCS, or Fancy Car Syndrome. The main makes to avoid are:

Audi's
BMW's
Mercedes
New Volvo's (the old ones are exempt from FCS)

I suspect some will argue that the only people that can afford the aforementioned cars are ones that are innately aggressive and have succeeded because of their aggression and hence their car driving habits are merely an extension of their persona. I think that American's are just losing their sense of neighbor and are instead reverting to a "me first" or a "me at all costs" attitude.

This attitude conjures up thoughts on the "prisoners dilemma" concept. Namely, for any one given turn/action a "me first" attitude may be the most logical attitude, but for a community as a whole and a multiple time-period analysis the best course of action is to sometimes defer to a "them first" attitude. I think we as American's are losing sight of this. Hopefully FCS can melt away into oblivion. In the meantime I'll ride my bike.

No comments: