21 August 2007

Ugadaga ... UGADAGA ... Ugadaga Bay

While in Unalaska, which despite the name I think counts as part of "Real Alaska", Amanda and I took a 5 mile journey to Ugadaga Bay. For some reason I always start mentally singing this name as if were the lead in to a march, imagine if you will ... "ugadaga (shouted by march leader) - UGADAGA (shouted response by all other marchers)- ugadaga bay (shouted by troop leader) .... the zeroes tried to bomb us but we turned them all away (Unalaska was bombed during WWII by the Japanese (but I don't know if the zeroes were in on the actual bombing)) "

The hike was fun, more fun on the outbound side as it was all downhill. The trail starts at a mountain pass and winds its way down to the bay. The way back was a bit more strenuous but I managed quite a bit better than the first time I encounted this path (about 15 years ago?).

We found a little stream that led into the bay, on the way there we hypothesized about whether it would have any salmon. Based on two Bald Eagles sitting a few yards from the mouth and a bunch of seagulls fluttering about, I guessed it would have a few. At first we
didn't see any fish but remarked on how clear the water was (a natural dam had slowed the water and rendered it almost as clear as glass). After we got up on a ledge and rounded a turn we spotted the treasure. Hundreds of salmon just chillin'. Amanda was anxious to jump right in and catch one, but she didn't have a change of clothing and that wouldn't have made her comfortable for the hike back up the hill!

One last note, it was nice to find that places do still exist where you can take a 3 hour hike and picnic and not see anyone at all.

1 comment:

Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) said...

"It was nice to find that places do still exist where you can take a 3 hour hike and picnic and not see anyone at all."

Strangely comforting, isn't it...