26 August 2007

Don't call me, I called you.

Commentary about societal quirks.

We tend to hang out as a couple with other couples. I think in this arrangement there's an implicit agreement that the guys call the guys and the girls call the girls. No cross-calling! However, in some of the couples the guys aren't talkers and/or the girls are the boss. Amanda is the boss in our family but depending on the day and/or topic she doesn't like being the one to initiate a conversation with other couples (like if we want to invite them for dinner or to hang out, etc.) In situations where Amanda doesn't want to call and we want to accomplish something I call the female representative of the friends that we wish to talk with or ask a question of. It never seems to fail though that if I don't reach the person directly (and have to leave a voicemail) they will call Amanda back (even though I left the message).

I just think it's funny. If someone leaves a message for me I'll call them back (regardless of gender), if someone leaves a message for Amanda she'll call them back. If someone leaves a message for the both of us at least one will call them back. Maybe I'll not socially couth?

No comments: