We are going through a personality profiling at work with the intention of trying to identify what makes each of us tick. The theory goes that by knowing what makes each person tick the productivity of the office will increase and the satisfaction level of each person will increase.
Amanda laughs at me because I'm not very patient with "what makes Tom tick" questionnaires. She likes to point out that when we were newly married she tried to get me to take the Briggs - Meyer (or is it Meyer-Briggs) personality test to which I got frustrated with the questions halfway through and refused to complete it. I suspect that the test designers have a category for my type of person. In general I don't like questions that either a) don't account for context or b) are stupid.
Seemingly the questions are of the following nature
Which one of the following do you like
a) Puppies
b) Pizza
c) Winter
d) Football
Can't I just answer "Yes"?
The personality profiling that I'm involved with at my office takes the approach of "tell me ten stories about yourself" (within certain parameters) and then they'll tell me about myself based on themes within the stories I picked. The stories don't need to be very long, just a quarter of a page or so. I don't know how well this will work, we will see, I'm usually fairly skeptical.
Fun for you readers I'm planning on writing out the ten stories that I pick, maybe you all can tell me about myself based on the stories.
My first story is one that I don't actually remember. I have been told the story on enough occasions to have conjured up a "memory" but I suspect that this "memory" is not real.
The story takes place when I was young. I don't know how young but I was living in Arizona so I must have been less than 4 and it involves counting so I must have been old enough to count. Now that we know that I don't know how old I really was, and now that we know that I don't really remember this event happening though I do remember being told about the event, I will describe it to you in full conjured memory.
The story goes that when I was young I would take my collection of hotwheel cars, line them up along the fireplace hearth (which in my conjuring existed and was comprised of dark full size bricks, placed in the corner of the room with black wrought iron fireplace tools and paneling on the walls, in reality a fireplace in arizona?) and count them from first car through last car (with the total being in the 100's) and then I would take the first car put it at the end of the line and then count them over again. This activity would apparently keep me entertained for a long time.
Now that I've confessed that I really have no recollection of these events, perhaps one of my parents are reading and can give some clarity to this set of events.
p.s. no spell check or grammar check used. Why? Because I'm lazy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
The truth is:
1) no fireplace, it was against the couch
2) not cars but girlfriends (just kidding, it was cars)
3) Sometimes you just moved them all forward a few inches to a couple feet
4) Most of the cars came from McDonalds. They were having hotwheel cars with happy meals for kids.
5) Often you would do the car thing while I was sleeping on the couch because I was working 40 hours per week and taking 23 units at college. Since it kept you busy, you got more cars to count so I could rest.
Your dad,
Tom
Post a Comment