04 June 2009

Bradley and Me

On Tuesday we went to our first of twelve Bradley classes. Bradley focuses on giving the mom the tools to go through with natural birth (no drugs, no caesarean) by teaching good nutrition, targeted exercise, and perhaps most importantly by training the dad in how to support both through the pregnancy and through the delivery. Twelve weeks of watching babies being born and getting prepped and ready to go. After our twelve weeks is up it's just about time for baby "Jill" to arrive!

We learned in this first class that babies, especially first babies, are typically late. Will the stork bring her on my birthday (4 days past due date)?

We also learned in this first class the beginnings of proper nutrition (more to come next week we're told). First and foremost 80-100 grams of protein a day. I'm in trouble if Amanda doesn't meet the goal. We were told of a website online that helps you track what you eat and you're recommended daily calorie consumption (based on age, height, weight, goals). Apparently I need about 3300 calories a day. When Amanda signed up she noticed that they didn't have a distinction between pregnant and not pregnant females so she wasn't sure how much she needed for the baby. I tricked the system though, I entered into the calculator an age of 0, height of 16 inches, weight of 1.5lbs with a goal of gaining 1 lb a week (which in reality should be about 0.5lbs a week but they didn't have that option. Tada, baby "Jill" needs 979 calories a day.

1 comment:

Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) said...

Clever-- excpet for the "Website online" bit. I wasn't aware of any other kind ;o)