19 June 2007

Inaccuracies

I always laugh at inaccuracies in the media (note: I'm not claiming that I'm always accurate) and at ways that the media uses statistics to prove their point (my general thought on statistics is that you can always make them say what you want if you know how).

The article here is talking about the woes of the housing market, not a fun subject, especially for those in areas specified by this article. The article may/may not be worth reading, I haven't finished it, perhaps because a little mistake destroys my faith in the accuracy of the rest of the article?

Anyways, the article claims that " ... showed that 139 of California's ZIP codes fell within the top 500 for total foreclosure filings in the United States. The next highest count for any state is less than half that at 72 and is in another sun-belt state - Florida."

By my recollection of basic fractions, 72 is more than half of 139 ... But alas, still doesn't bode well for the people in those 139+72=211 zip codes

No comments: