11 February 2008

Icebox of the Nation?

I had just finished reading this story today in the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner detailing the recent cold snap that has kept the Fairbanks area at 40 degrees below zero for 8 days now (some areas as have been as low as 52 below zero), when I went to cnn.com and saw this story about the "Icebox of the Nation", International Falls, MN.

The story about International Falls brags that they have just recorded a new record low of -40, three degrees colder than the previous record low of -37, and it had warmed up to -18 by morning. In contrast, in Fairbanks -40 is not an uncommon number to reach for days at a time and for most of last week the high temp for the day was in the -30's.

I had two thoughts on this:

1) Why is it that a town in MN getting to -40 for a few hours overnight makes front-page news on cnn.com when parts of AK are -40 all the time?

2) Maybe the town that gives itself a name like "Icebox of the Nation" should have to be the coldest place in the nation.

2 comments:

Untangling Tales said...

I'd guess it's because those smart, educated people at CNN know that no one *really* lives in Alaska like no one really lives in Antarctica.

So they only make a big deal of places where life-timers have to live through it.

And it did get up to -6 on Sat, according to at least one bank clock while I was out with one of my girls.

-13 this morning could be felt as warmer in the house too. Interesting, really, how we all (even inanimates like cars and houses) seem to acclimate to everything.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.